No announcement yet.

{The List} Scenario/Map Editor (v.2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be nice, but I seriously doubt they will do it.
    You'd have to choose the shape of each coastal point on the map - it wouldn't make sense to make part look ultra correctly, and part simply tiled.
    Iaken into account that there are many maps possible, at least should be, each map would have to have its own file depictiting the look of each tile...
    No, it's possible in EU2 perhaps, but not in a game like Civilisation
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

All of a sudden Herresson gets realistic
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I do not mind shattering someone else's dreams...
        I'm just protecting my own
        Middle East!

Comment

Maybe just do it for islands then, and have the game plug in the preshaped islands randomly on random maps.

Rule Variation for Scenarios

Be able to use SMACish borders in scenarios.

Comment

\What do You mean exactly by that?
            Middle East!

Comment

I suppose he means borders that fluctuate based on land ownership... like Civ III?
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

That's what I thought
                Middle East!

Comment

SMAC borders are not the same as C3 borders. A SMAC base can claim a lot more territory than a C3 city.

Comment

Yes, I do recall... But that's not good idea, then.
                    Middle East!

Comment

I want to emphasize the importance of the text files and easily editable image files Civ2 had... most of the time, it is much easier and quicker to use notepad to alter something than use the editor.

Another thing: Avoid applying limitations to stuff just because it wouldn't be realistic. In Civ2 at least, there are tons of scenarios that make use of nonstandard rules combinations. For example, the use of paradropping 'transport planes' with transport capacity. Or, allowing the paradropping of ships and use it as a 'warp drive' on space scenarios. Both of which would not be possible if paradropping was limited to land units (which would be superfluous as you can always not give said ability to units you want)

In the field of improvement / wonder modabilities, the key is to flexibilize as much as possible. From the short glances i've taken at the civ 3 editor, i've seen a small improvement: you can edit wonder effects.

It'd be nice to have it even more editable, and, for example, be able to to chose how much extra movement units get, and also if it is all units, or only sea units (or air, for that matter).

Allow something similar for city improvements.

Also, the 'working tech' was an interesting addition as well. in Civ2, temples required a certain tech to 'work' (actually, 2 techs affect this), which could be different from the one needed to build them. Furthermore, coliseums increased effectiviness with Electronics, and the opposite happened with Cathedrals and Communism.

Technologies could also affect other stuff, such as unit stats perhaps? (a 'battlefiled medicine' tech that increases HP, or an 'Armour Piercing Shell' one that increases the attack of units (or only of certain units) by one. Possibly also technology that improves terrain enhancements. (crop rotation increasing irrigation bonus from 1 to 2 for grass and plains?).

Perhaps also providing several flags for different unit types. (which can be cummulative... perhaps 'artillery', 'horse' and 'armoured' can be some.) This could allow a huge amount of editability, especially when combined with the above options. 'armoured' units needing a factory to be built, and having extra attack with the 'armour piercing shells' tech described above, instead of it affecting infantry as well. Also, allowing 'pikemen' units true extra defense (how much should be editable) versus 'horse' units.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I thought paradroping ships are impossible in civ2?

Anyway, I agree,
                        especially when it comes to wonder part.
                        You should be able to chose the effect for each wonder, and combine them
                        Middle East!

Comment

They must 'land' on a land square, but they can move to sea (or attack adjacent squares) from where they land....

You can paradrop them from a city or from an airbase (add an airbase and change terrain to ocean to get ocean airbases)
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Variations of One Map

When the game sets up a scenario, be able to allow it to change the map by varying degrees. You could tell it to keep the coastlines but surprise you as to the terrain.

Scenario Design Shortcuts

Have different categories of scenarios preprogrammed: historical, alternate history, fantasy, future Earth, other planets, space, mythological, fictional. Space would have default terrain, and historical would default to standard terrain.

Minieditor

Have a separate minieditor where you can only change things that will not affect the fairness of the game, like giving one civ a combination of characteristics that a different one has anyway; city lists; barbarian tribe lists, graphics for rulers, cities, and the palace, etc. Things that would not disallow the Hall of Fame. Have it as a minieditor so you can set things to use more than once, but also be able to set these options in an optional extended startup.

supersmallscale scenarios

If this is truly to be an umbrella game system, it should be possible to model in detail a small battle on a small amount of land: units are individual human beings, individual buildings within a city can be terrain features, turns can be minutes or unspecified periods of time.

Comment

Re: Minieditor

More options for this:

altering graphics, unit names, and improvement names. Also be able to rename a type of improvement ingame when you build the first one, and be able to rename an entire type of unit anytime ingame.

Comment

A thought about a simple editor feature that would be extremely helpful when adding new things to the game. Came up in another thread, so here's the link:

Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Working...
                                X